Thursday 25 February 2010

Dad Rock


When I was in high school and the Boomtown Rats were frequently at the top of the charts it wasn’t easy to imagine Bob Geldof in the role of responsible father but by some miracle the middle-aged Sir Bob has achieved a type of respectability without completely abandoning the edgy persona of his youth. These days his ire is directed towards the press and its treatment of 17 year-old Peaches. To put it mildly, he’s as mad as hell and he’s not gonna take it anymore! “She's at school. She does her homework. She has weekend and holiday jobs. She does great in her exams. She likes to be with her friends and boys and bands. Just like any kid of her age,” he said. "The difference is that the press take photographs of her doing the stuff that other kids do too. Because she's my kid she gets to go to things other kids don't, and because of her surname they take her picture. I loathe that and I wish they would stop but they won't, and that's not her fault. She's a fantastic girl and I'm very proud of her.”

1 comment:

  1. I've always had a soft spot for Bob - I love rebels. Always ready to diss the establishment, he's been an inspiration to us all. However, I've been truly amazed by his performance as a parent (which I believe is the most important role that we play in life). From when he took in Paula's youngest daughter to the way that he's supported all of his kids, badboy Bob Geldof is an excellent role model for parents everywhere.

    ReplyDelete